Virtual Bus

Welcome to the Virtual Bus Forums! In order for you to make posts and download resources, please take a moment to Log in or Register.

Project Merseyside

Engine Start Up

Creator of Project Merseyside
The People
Welcome to Project Merseyside! Project Merseyside is a map based on the Liverpool area, mainly focusing on the Route 86 and others similar (86C, etc). The map is not going to be completely accurate as it's loosely based whilst being as accurate as possible (already it's confusing). This is purely owing to me not able to produce custom assets so I've used previously made assets. This means I'm aiming to have the roads as accurate as possible more than the buildings. But do not worry, I hope you can still enjoy the map as much I will (hopefully) enjoy creating it!

As of the time of posting this, it's hard to tell what road is what without having some buildings in and it's not really at a good enough standard to show screenshots but I can promise you that a fair few of the roads have been placed.

Q: Do you plan on doing any other routes for the map?
A: Yes, as stated above I plan on doing the other variations of the 86's.

Q: Can I be a tester?
A. Testing won't be open for a good while and I've already got a friend of mine local to me to help test. Private testing will open once the map is at least half done and/or to a good enough standard to drive on.

Q: When will this be released?
A. Not for a good while yet. The map is in very early stages and is yet to change.

Q: Will this be freeware or payware?
A. Definitely freeware. Nowhere near a good enough standard for payware and I just want to contribute something to the community.

Q: send link plz
A:

Q: Will this feature custom repaints?
A: Unsure as of yet as most of the repaints that run on this map have already been created.

Q: What companies will operate on the map?
A. The standard route 86 is operated by Arriva, as per real life. The 86A (TBC) will also be operated by Arriva, again as per reality. All companies will run the routes that they run in real life. If I plan on doing the Stagecoach version of the 86, that will be ran by Stagecoach as per reality. AI buses will also run to the real life operators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Engine Start Up

The People
Are there any current pictures of the map?
About to do the first ever test for the map in game, so going to grab some screenshots of the slightly more recognisable areas. Bare in mind no buildings have been placed yet but hopefully anybody local will recognise something.

OP
OP
E

Engine Start Up

The People
So here we are! The first test of the map has went well but I do definitely need to fix up the bus station and the Liverpool Central station area. In the first image, you can see one of Speke Depot's based Gemini 3 turning at Liverpool ONE heading for the stand. This is usually on the 86A or the 80's but has been allocated on the 86's for today.

In the second image, you can see the same bus on Great Charlotte Street at the St John's stop. I'm hoping to come back to this area to redo it and fix the junction just after the stop. A friend of mine (mentioned in the first post) is making a HOF file for the map so that'll be in use on AI services and the player service. I've tried to represent the road layout at the Great Charlotte Street stands as close to real life as possible, with the little cut into the pavement (yet to be placed) and the other stand just outside Boots for where the 80, 80A, 75 and 76's will stop (as per reality).

As you can see it's not much but the road layout is mostly done (excluding bits that need to be redone) between Liverpool ONE and Great Charlotte Street!

Hullian111

I repaint Fleetlines now.
The People
In my honest opinion, the concept sounds promising, but I think that to make the map really pop, you should get some experience in making your own buildings in Blender - Liverpool certainly has unique architecture, which I've noticed on my previous visits there, i.e., the Liver Building, which you'd be able to see over the skyline while pulling out of the bus station. Personally, I think scenery is really what would sell a map for some. And have you had any previous experience in making maps for OMSI? If this is your first map, then mapping out a big city route down to the suburbs might prove to be a challenge.

Not aiming to discourage you, of course, just providing my own form of constructive criticism and advice from someone who tried - and failed - to use the editor. Its a good start, and I hope this pans out well in future updates, because I'm looking forward to having a new real-life map to regularly drive on, but you (or your friends, however they are involved in the process) are probably better off picking up tutorials into making your own custom buildings, junctions/roads, etc., and otherwise furthering your experience in the editor. Here's hoping this turns out well and doesn't fizzle out like my 56/57 route map did.

Here below is the route map that OP is wanting to do - similar in scope to our 56/57, so it seems.

OP
OP
E

Engine Start Up

The People
In my honest opinion, the concept sounds promising, but I think that to make the map really pop, you should get some experience in making your own buildings in Blender - Liverpool certainly has unique architecture, which I've noticed on my previous visits there, i.e., the Liver Building, which you'd be able to see over the skyline while pulling out of the bus station. Personally, I think scenery is really what would sell a map for some. And have you had any previous experience in making maps for OMSI? If this is your first map, then mapping out a big city route down to the suburbs might prove to be a challenge.

Not aiming to discourage you, of course, just providing my own form of constructive criticism and advice from someone who tried - and failed - to use the editor. Its a good start, and I hope this pans out well in future updates, because I'm looking forward to having a new real-life map to regularly drive on, but you (or your friends, however they are involved in the process) are probably better off picking up tutorials into making your own custom buildings, junctions/roads, etc., and otherwise furthering your experience in the editor. Here's hoping this turns out well and doesn't fizzle out like my 56/57 route map did.

Here below is the route map that OP is wanting to do - similar in scope to our 56/57, so it seems.
View attachment 1762
Thanks so much. I attempted to create a custom object earlier today but decided I'll get the roads done first and then move onto the scenery. By that time, I'm hoping I would've learnt a bit more in Blender and texture importing, scaling, etc. As for the skyline buildings and other monuments, they're gonna be a lot more trickier with their modern shapes and whatnot. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback. I've realised that custom assets are definitely a must if you want to have some sort of realism and not repeating the same buildings over and over again.

OP
OP
E

Engine Start Up

The People
Work today has been mainly focusing on the road markings and getting the roads to a standard where testers can figure out lanes and so on as some roads are one-way but not displayed correctly without the road markings. Below, you can see the Liverpool ONE roundabout just outside the bus station showing the (nearly) complete road markings. Ignore any overlapping textures and the custom AI track, I aim for these to be fixed when possible. As for the custom buildings mentioned, I'll start work on them when I feel I'm ready to go through the billion tutorials for Blender on YouTube lol.

KK294

The People
Thank God someone is making Liverpool! If you need any reference pictures or anything, let me know, as I'm from Liverpool. Repaint wise, again, If you want any repaints creating, let me know. The hybrid one pictured above will be updated soon with the accurate interior - All those hybrid graphics! Anyway, hope this project furthers and i wish you all the very best! :)

OP
OP
E

Engine Start Up

The People
Hi all, I've figured out the inevitable. I've realised this would be too much for a beginner in map creation but I don't want to let you all down as I can see many of you, like me, are from the local area and have been wanting a Liverpool map for ages. If I was to cancel this map, I'd give it to anybody that really wanted it as a "bonus" extra map just to test stuff on. I'd also start on a completely fictional map which I feel I'd be better suited too. I need your opinions on this as I want to fulfil your expectations but I also feel like the final product of this map wouldn't look anywhere near decent, especially with the custom asset creation.

Fish0

The People
Hi all, I've figured out the inevitable. I've realised this would be too much for a beginner in map creation but I don't want to let you all down as I can see many of you, like me, are from the local area and have been wanting a Liverpool map for ages. If I was to cancel this map, I'd give it to anybody that really wanted it as a "bonus" extra map just to test stuff on. I'd also start on a completely fictional map which I feel I'd be better suited too. I need your opinions on this as I want to fulfil your expectations but I also feel like the final product of this map wouldn't look anywhere near decent, especially with the custom asset creation.
I'd say make a fictional map imo, and then with more experience you can make more higher quality content